Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Julbord and Thanksgiving 2010

Julbord (Jul=Christmas and bord=table)


We needed to go to IKEA (remember this is where IKEA began!!) to get some dishes and bedding for the Elder’s apt. It was lunch time so we decided to have their meatball dinner. When we went to the cafeteria they were having a full on JULBORD!! It was very cheap compared to the restaurants in town. So we got it. It was wonderful. Yes, I know you won’t believe this but I loved the PICKLED HERRING and SILL!!

A Julbord always has: ham, meatballs, wieners, pickled herring, beet salad and boiled potatoes. Then they had what their families like.




 
Pickled Herring and caviar eggs Yum!

Starting at the top: Beet Salad YUM!  Ham; Yuk, Roast beef, OK, Korv good, cabbage slaw good, small wieners good, short ribs, too fatty, shredded potatoes with anchovies YUK! Plus the Swedish meatballs and potatoes yum! They also have hard bread but it taste like crisp cardboard to me.

We went to a small mall and it was decorated real cute. This display was inside the mall. The kids at the mall got a big kick out of all the cute Santas.

Nov 24 Grand Hotel with snow on tree




 
We were on our way to Kristianstad for Thanksgiving and this was a scene out of our train window.

Nov. 25  We had Thanksgiving with our Mission Zone, in Kristianstad. We took the train, it took us 2 ½ hours to get there. We all brought a dish, I made Allison’s sweet potato casserole. 

The 2 missionaries from Kristianstad were to cook the Turkey, Elder Archie and Elder Werner. They are 20 years old and had never cooked a turkey. They called me up and I walked them thru it. It was hilarious. In Sweden there is no such thing as any kind of stuffing mix. So I told them to dry out bread and then told them how to make the dressing. I am laughing as I type this as I had to tell them how to stuff a turkey. Now if you think about it to give directions to someone who hardly knows what a plucked turkey even looks like. They said We put the stuffing where Anyway when we got there the 2 missionaries had pulled up chairs and were watching the turkey cook.  Cutest thing I ever did see. We came several hours early to help them out. The turkey turned out great.  

Here is our group at the table. I helped them fix up the table as festive as we could. I found the flowers in the Relief society room. Then we jazzed up the glasses with napkins. It was not quite like home but when you are with friends, you love and enjoy that is what it is all about.




 
Zone photo: Back of Turkey: Elders Carlisle and Winegar.


Far left: Sr. Couples; Rasmussens and Us and the Sisters Page and Dabb.

Far right group: top row: Elders Archie, Lampinen, Bruhn, and Bloomfield.

2nd row: Elders Owens, Overstreet¸ Werner and Haines.

Front row: Bracken and Arko

We really had a fun time but sure did miss our families.








 
Check out the bikes. They ride them everywhere and this is one of many bike parking lots.






Grand hotel with more snow on the tree.. I will keep you posted on this tree!!




 
Neal is still in the Torg by the Grand Hotel and this is one of the cute little streets that we walk down. It has lots of cute stores. Everything was really decorated pretty.








1 comment:

  1. I bet you are loving all the pickeled fish, Dad! Mom I'm impressed you have acquired a taste for it. I'm not so sure about pickeled fish and eggs. I love looking at all your pictures. Thanks for keeping us updated. By the way, good job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete